20 December 2005

Ho, Ho, Ho...

Must be getting soft in my old age...but the constant stream of carols (since mid-November on one local radio station) hasn't seemed to bother me so much this year. I find myself humming along merrily to all sorts of weird versions of the same old tunes. Well...OK. I'm still not cool with Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Whoever put that duo together needs some serious therapy.

But, on balance, I find myself anticipating Christmas with a joy I haven't felt in a few years. And I'm not sure why. The mountain of work on my desk (between congregation, synod and civic responsibilities) is absolutely un-do-able between now and the weekend. There is still some shopping that needs to be done so that the Mrs. has something cool to open on Christmas Day. The doctor just upped by blood pressure medication again. And I'm not sleeping very well at night.

What a wreck! But I'm a perfect candidate for Christmas! Thanks be to the God who comes among us in our current condition...so that we don't have to live forever in such sorry shape. That's enough to make me smile (even if Bing and David insist on singing together).

No comments: