06 February 2007

Channeling Grandma...

This morning, the Mrs. and I talked to our youngest face to face...even though he's in Germany. Thank you, Skype. Later this morning, the youngest and I IM'd for a few minutes while I was updating the church's website. Just after that, I spoke to elder son on his cell phone while he's pulling up stuff on his computer about a database/search program that I had entered about two minutes prior, and telling me about his new VISTA-running, 1024M, 120Gig, 6-cell, 15.4 TGVA computer. (Does that thing have four on the floor and a hemi?)

And in the back of my head the whole time, I'm hearing Grandma Piehl telling us how she walked to the one-room schoolhouse more than a mile, even in the winter with snow up over your knees. They carried a baked potato in the pockets to keep their hands warm and to have something for lunch. On the way home this time of year, your hands just got cold.

I know: the mere act of channeling Grandma is testimony to the advancing years. But I'm amazed at some of the things we're able to do now. She'd be absolutely flabbergasted.

No comments: